Saturday 23 April 2011

"Glamping"

Just had to post about this. I absolutely hate these words such as "Glamping" "Bromance" "Jedward" you get the drift...But I just cannot understand this "new fangled thing" called Glamping, to be honest with you it's probably been around for years, seasoned campers have been doing it for years it is just that someone out there decided to give it a silly word.

In my eyes, Glamping is overpriced camping for people who don't like camping. Glamping is those little huts called podpads, you can hire them at festivals for stupid amounts of money. Don't get me wrong, if I could afford it I'd give it a go but for me I like roughing it a bit, I mean isn't that what it's all about? keeping it simple?

On a set up campsite, they will have excellent facilities meaning that you don't have to go without washing or go to dingy toilets, that is reserved for the domain of the festival however as the years go on facilities do get better.

I camped at Las Palmeras in Tarragona, Spain in 2002, they have fantastic facilities there, the showers and toilets are cleaned twice a day, hell they even clean the beach every morning. I was able to mantain glamour at every opportunity while away and I was just staying in a simple 4 man tent with a borrowed gazebo, with a small camp table, a few chairs and a really basic gas cooker. It was one of the best holidays I have ever had, why? cos it was simple.

I personally feel with the so called Glamping, it is bringing a very different sort of punter to a festival. Podpads and the like are making it easy for people that don't like camping to do the trendy festival thing, I am not saying it's wrong at all because I think everyone should go to a festival. It is changing the atmosphere of some festivals though,  certain people go cos it's something they want to tick off their to do list, these people are generally the ones that have no idea about festival ettiquette, however I digress.

If you really want to "glamp" then the following are essentials-

1. A tent you can stand up in and that has a big awning, we bought a five man tent and it's brilliant, it's by no means the biggest tent on the market but it's good enough for now.

2. Plastic wine glasses and a box of wine- Mr Festival Fairy and I wandered round Glastonbury with a box of red wine and two plastic wines glasses, I'd like to say we were "glampers" before the word was invented. So many people commented on our glasses.

3. Babywipes- we have a little one so will have them anyway, but babywipes are just ace, you will feel clean and fresh in seconds and absolute must.

4. Bring ready prepared one pot meals- stuff like bolonaise, chilli and cassarole. Cook up large amounts and portion into those Indian/Chinese takeaway dishes you get and freeze them. On the day you leave pack them, still frozen into your cool box. You then have your first nights meal and a seconds nights meal ready to go, add some rice or pasta and you have a delicious filling meal.

5. Airbeds- I only used an airbed for the last few festivals I went to and it makes such a difference! I suggest getting a battery powered pump, I got one from Argos for a tenner, not only does it pump one up within minutes but it deflates it also.

6. Nikwax your tent- been through that one. It's really worth doing and it doesn't cost much in comparison to a £200 tent.

Thats all I can come up with for now, I am sure others have essentials to add to my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment